We run trips in the following categories:
|GRADE||TERRAIN||SUITABLE FOR||WALKING TIME|
|E - Easy||Easy, non demanding||Most ages and fitness levels||2 - 4 hours|
|EM - Easy/Medium||Mostly easy, some demanding||Most ages and fitness levels||3 - 6 hours|
|M - Medium||Varied, moderately demanding||Moderate Fitness Levels||5 - 7 hours|
|MF - Medium/Fit||Varied, more demanding||Fitness and stamina required||6 - 8 hours|
|F - Fit||Varied & challenging||Fitness and stamina required||7 - 10+ hours|
- We are a tramping club, not a walking club.
- Walking hours per day does not include breaks (rests, lunch etc.), so these need be added to get the total trip duration per day.
- Any of our trips may include steep slopes, uneven terrain, muddy tracks, tree roots, un-bridged stream or river crossings and other obstacles.
- Most of our trips are on tracks, but there may also be travel over untracked terrain, especially for Medium-Fit and Fit trips.
This may include travel in rivers, through thick scrub, across scree or snow slopes and steep climbing and descents.
- Some trips may require particular skills e.g. river crossing skills or the use of an ice axe and or crampons.
- Although trips are graded, any trip may become more difficult on the day due to conditions such as deteriorating weather, rising rivers, landslips, or fallen trees.
- New members to the club are generally encouraged to come on a few day walks (club or private) before an overnight trip.
Similarly, new members are encouraged to do some easy and easy/medium overnight trips before advancing onto more demanding trips.
- A trip leader and/or the Chief Guide may exclude a person from a trip if it is considered they are inadequately equipped or are not considered to have the necessary fitness or ability to complete the trip.
A trip leader or chief guide decision to exclude a person will be final.